Wednesday, May 16, 2012

Meeting The Mayor


This evening, my fellow Ivy League Connection ambassadors and I had the honor of meeting the mayor of Pinole as well as several prominent members of the city council. We were given custom made metals as a reward for our hard work and perseverance, and we even delivered speeches to the city council members. It was yet another memorable night that made me realize that I am part of a truly great program.

ILC ambassadors receiving metal from Ms. Khan and the mayor of Pinole. 

I have never been inside the Pinole City Hall. I have passed by it several times on my way to the post office, but I have never actually stepped foot in the building until this evening. Some of us arrived earlier than the council members, so we waited in the hall until more people arrived. When the doors of the council chambers opened, we all scurried in and waited for more people to arrive. The chamber itself was nothing too extravagant; the
walls were simply painted, with no pictures hanging on them. The only decorations were the three flags standing limply behind a podium that was shoved to the left-hand corner of the room, and a few T.V. screens suspended from the walls. Several rows of seats spanned the medium sized room and faced the desk of the city council members.  There were several rows of seats facing the desk of the council members.

We took our seats and the meeting began. The council members went over the agenda, but then adjourned the meeting to discuss things amongst themselves. After they had returned, several people related to the ILC made speeches. Ms. Khan gave a particularly touching speech and gave us an unexpected present: custom made metals to rewards us on all our hard work.

After listening to several speeches and posing for a multitude of photos, my turn at the podium finally arrived. I had practiced my speech several times before, but to no avail for I as soon as I stood before the council members, I forgot everything. I could recall only certain fragments of my speech, but I grabbed at whatever words floated into my mind my spoke them. I must have done better than I thought though because the council members complimented all of the Ivy League ambassadors on our public speaking skills.

This is only the second ILC event I have attended, but it has helped to boost my self-confidence. It felt so sublime being praised but such prominent figures in society. It was the first time in my life that I actually felt proud of myself.


Future leaders of the world. 



No comments:

Post a Comment