Monday, July 23, 2012

Ambivalence

I am in a state of ambivalence. I have only four days left at Vanderbilt, and the emotions in my head are clashing like two colliding cars. On the one hand, I look forward to going back home and reuniting with my family, but on the other I do not want to leave here. Vanderbilt has been the greatest experience of my life, and I have the Ivy League Connection to thank for it. 

I never thought in a million years that I would be given an opportunity like this; to travel to a different coast, explore new colleges, live the college life for three weeks, and just learn all these new things. The opportunities that the Ivy League Connection has presented with are immeasurable. I will forever be indebted to this program for helping me become a more mature individual. 

Today was another normal day. I went to class and worked on my short mystery stories, then after I spent the entire day with my friends. I am going to miss them all after we leave. I know that we all say that we will stay in touch, but time is a cruel thing; it causes people to forget those who were once important to them. The memories that were once precious deteriorate and their importance dwindle. Therefore, I am not counting too hard on keeping in touch with the people I met here so I am not disappointed in the future. However, I will never forget what everyone here taught me and how they made me laugh until my vision blurred from tears forming in my eyes. 

I will also never forget my class and professor here. I have never enjoyed being in a classroom as much as I have in the past two weeks. Dr. Jan is so amiable and pleasant to be around, and she is brilliant at what she does. She is able to teach us college level material in a fun and comprehensive way that challenges us. The class is always lively and entertaining. I would strongly recommend this class for anyone, regradless of your preference for writing.

The last thing I will say before retiring for the night is this: all these trips are learning opportunities, so take advantage of everything. See as much as you can here and absorb as much as you can. The more you learn while you are here, the better prepared you become for the world. The ILC isn't just about developing brilliant minds; it is about cultivating brilliant young adults and citizens. 

No comments:

Post a Comment