Monday, July 23, 2012

The Amazing Antibiotics


As the day of our research presentations gets closer, the more nervous I get. Just the idea of speaking to graduate students who are probably experts in this field is definitely a frightening idea. Regardless, I know that if I research enough I will do fine. Besides, that was the first thing we did this morning. We all went to the computer lab to make sure we have our research study all planned out. Even though we had about two hours to do this part of our project, I really rushed to finish it and print it out. I’m serious – this project is quite challenging; in fact, Dr. Sulikowski (our professor) says that this is a study plan that take a long time to be made by professionals. This project might be rigorous, but I think that the difficulty of it is helping us in the long run. It helps us step into the shoes of the people who actually have to do this kind of thing.
Once we finished with our lab time, we came back to the classroom and had a whole lecture about antibiotics. Antibiotics are medicines that inhibit the growth of bacterial cells and also are one of the single most important discoveries of the last century, considering that it has saved more lives than any other method in history. These incredible, life-saving drugs work by sending the metabolites that stop or disrupt cell metabolism, interfering with the bacterial cell wall, and inhibiting DNA transcription and replication. It’s pretty amazing how we learned about the range of ability antibiotics have over such a short amount of time.
However, over the lecture I learned an interesting fact; apparently many antibiotics in the United States are used in animal feed to keep them healthy until slaughter. Basically, we are consuming these animals engorged with antibiotics. I know antibiotics are great and all, but I don’t like the idea of consuming these antibiotics with my burger at In-N-Out.
Anyway, we then spent the end of class going over a skit we planned for the class showcase on Wednesday. I’m not sure if our skit is supposed to be kept secret or not so I am not going to risk it by saying what it is. Let me just say this: it is pretty random. I am pretty excited to see how it turns out in the end though.
After class we had a whole lot of free time since there was no ArĂȘte class. I spent the time with a couple friends and wandered around 21st Street. We didn’t do too much but I had a great time with this small group of friends and it was nice to get to know them better. It’s always great to learn about their lives, and what they want to make of the rest of it. In the end, I had a great time in and out of class and I’m looking forward to what’s in store for tomorrow.

No comments:

Post a Comment