Tuesday, July 24, 2012

My Off-Day

Today was a bit of an off-day for me; it was very unusual. I'm not sure what I was feeling, but my personality was just all over the place for me today--in my mind at least. It's hard to explain, but let's just call today "My Off-day".

One thing that probably contributed to the odd way I was feeling today was that the Lived Religion class never even entered the classroom today. Instead, we headed all the way to the Nashville Library. The library was enormous, and there was so much history about Nashville in there--as if the library was more of a museum than a place for books.



However, no matter how much history and books that were in this library, our class was there for one main purpose--the Civil Rights Section. Me doing an essay to get into the Ivy League Connection about the famous sit-ins that took place here, I already knew a lot. This is not to mention that in AP U.S. History and AP English Language and Composition, I've watched plenty of videos and studied and read many readings of the 1960s social changes. It was great to have gone there, but I honestly didn't learn anything significant that I didn't know already. Still, it was interesting to find all these books about Civil Rights and how they related to religion and religious practice. It was also great to have a guest speaker who works for an interfaith organization. We need more people like our guest speaker, because not everyone is strong and confident enough to stand up for others like her even though they shouldn't have to be afraid to.

I never watched Martin Luther King Jr.'s full I Have A Dream Speech, and today I finally had the chance to. It was just so uplifting and I almost shedded a tear as I watched it and saw the emotion not only in MLK but in the hundreds and thousands of marchers listening to him. My favorite line from his speech, which is probably everyone's favorite, is "I have a dream my four little children will one day live in a nation where they will not be judged by the color of their skin but by the content of their character". I love witty, poetic lines, so this was definitely a big "head-nod" for me, when I heard this.

Also, I wasn't able to find out what my classmates thought of me and how they describe me as a person today, but I will definitely let you know tomorrow.

In addition, went on a campus tour with one of the proctors and a few others from VSA during my free-time. I'm glad I finally had the opportunity to see most of the campus before I head back home. Seeing everything Vanderbilt has to offer, I don't see why I shouldn't apply here. This school almost reminds me of Stanford or UCLA in the South, especially Stanford, because the campus is huge yet there is a medium enrollment of students. I love how Vandy is enclosed from the city, yet you're pretty much in the heart of the city. I just couldn't believe how many classrooms there are for just a medium number of students. This definitely shows that my class sizes would be relatively small, and I'll have many choices to choose from. Other than that, the campus is just beautiful. Here are a few pictures.

I like trees.
Tomorrow is the Talent Show, and I'm very excited. I will do not one but two different acts. The first act is when I'm in a boy band, and it should be interesting. The second act is just me, where I perform one of my old spoken word poems from my first ever Open Mic. Tomorrow should be very fun.

No comments:

Post a Comment