Sunday, July 15, 2012

Relaxation Nation

Ah, Sunday. A day for relaxation, a day without classes, a day to unwind before the hectic week starts again. It really was a calm day. However, the humidity was horrible. I don’t know if it was because I went to the zoo and I was outside the whole time, or because I am still not used to the 95-degree weather. Either way, I was pretty much exhausted by 5 PM when I came back.
The day started out great, and I woke up effortlessly since I had my first full 8 hours of sleep. It was glorious and I only woke up once or twice throughout the night – which is good for me since I wake up around 6 to 10 times throughout the night. Anyway, as I was on my way to breakfast, I noticed that there was not one cloud in the sky. It was sort of nice to this change in weather after this weeks’ rain. Now that I think about it, I am grateful that my walk to church this morning was sunny and not pouring.
This morning I attended the Belmont United Methodist Church. I have never been to Methodist Church before so I wasn’t really sure to expect. The church I attend back home is called the Hilltop Community Church and is much more of a ‘liberal’ Christian church in my opinion. This one however, seemed a little more ‘strict’ to me. All the people weren’t very lively and the music was very slow and almost sad. I don’t know about other people, but I like going to an energetic church with music that makes me happy. Besides this though, church was really nice, and I enjoyed the sermon.
The inside
Once we finished our quick walk back from church, I changed out of my nicer clothes into a T-shirt and jeans for the trip to the Nashville Zoo. I was really excited for this trip since I love animals of all kinds. To my surprise, they actually had baby snow leopards and a 5-week old giraffe. I’m a sucker for baby animals so these little creatures definitely made my heart melt. The zoo also had meerkats - my favorite African animal of all time! I’ve love these animals ever since Meerkat Manor came out on Animal Planet years ago. Overall, the zoo was definitely a great way to spend my Sunday afternoon.

MEERKATS.




So many flamingos...
Back at the dorms, I found out there was a college question seminar thing going on in the 6th floor. It was a sort of informal meeting with the proctors (who attend Vanderbilt) where we get to ask questions. Basically, a lot of the answers by the students were already answered for me at the dinner I had with Vandy Alums in May. One thing I found out though, was that Vanderbilt gave a lot of freedom to its students – even more so than Georgetown. For example Georgetown colleges are hard to switch from while Vanderbilt colleges are easy to switch from.
After this session, I went to my proctor meeting. Here we discussed the plans for the week. Apparently, we have this thing called Proctor Night on Tuesday, where we get to hang out with our proctor group and basically do whatever we want. I think this is such a great idea, and I’m really looking forward to our bonding time on Tuesday. I also found out we will be having a dinner with the Dean on Wednesday. This is a really cool opportunity and I hope to learn something from it.
Now that this relatively peaceful weekend has come to an end, it’s time to start another adventurous week tomorrow.


No comments:

Post a Comment