Saturday, July 7, 2012

Finally In The South

Today consisted of no stress, and only a little sweat. We had a good night’s sleep last night, with full energy as we took a plane ride to our last destination in the East Coast: Nashville, Tennessee.

Our chaperone Mr.Mannix took us to Whole Foods to eat a healthy brunch.  I never knew this organic market had a buffet style eating area.  Sure, I expected a produce and a deli, but not a hot buffet and a salad bar. It was pretty interesting to see all the different types of food at a super market. Their buffet consisted of a variety of global foods and the organic food was not that bad.


We immediately headed to the airport for our flight to Nashville. Although it was our last day at Washington D.C., I didn’t feel sad or anything.  I am very blessed to be able to explore new colleges and popular landmarks. I was happy to be able to expand my knowledge on colleges I have just heard about through the ILC, and be open minded to the wonderful opportunities. I can now say I have seen the many popular monuments and museums at our nation’s capital, and even watched the fireworks there. It was a very exciting and overpowering experience, that I am sure I will never forget.

Upon arrival at the Nashville airport, I already experienced Southern hospitality.  At the rental car station, the lady who assisted us offered to help me with my luggage. She was very sincere and kind. As we drove to our hotel, I began to notice how musically inclined this city is. From many billboards to guitar replicas around every corner, you can tell how music has formed what Nashville is today. As we explored our beautiful hotel located directly across Vanderbilt University, I can say I sort of made a friend. We went into the gift shop, and right away the cashier was very nice and made us feel welcome. We all conversed about the program we are in, and he was impressed. He even informed us of the many shopping areas here in the city, and food places. People around here are really friendly and I can’t wait till we meet more.

A jukebox located right in the lobby of our hotel! Nashville is definitely a musical city!
The past hot and busy six days have zoomed right past me. Tomorrow is finally the time we’ve all been waiting for: Vanderbilt Summer Academy. In addition to the exposure of East Coast colleges, the rigorous process we went through last spring was to get us to experience a college life, and for me specifically at Vanderbilt. As I take look back at my interview, many of my answers were based around the course I wanted to take, Pharmacology, and how it will impact myself and my community. I hope to grow a firm understanding of how drugs work, and come back to my school to inform my peers about how drugs affect their bodies.

Now the time has finally come for us to live independently for the next three weeks and study at a prestigious college. It’s crazy that we have come this far, and I am very excited to begin a new journey. With new people and a new environment around me, I am excited to take full advantage of this adventure.

We ended our day with a stop at Target to get our last minute dorm necessities, then headed to Red Robin for dinner. I am not only full from my meal, but also full of new perspectives of colleges here on the East Coast.

Vanderbilt, get ready for the Pinolians, because here we come!

No comments:

Post a Comment