Wednesday, July 25, 2012

How About Let's Not Start Packing

Team Trevor--taking it back to the 90s boy band times (some of the members from my proctor group and our proctor)
I keep mentioning that the good times always pass by so fast, but it's true, am I right? My friendships grow stronger with my friends as every day goes by here. It's sad to say that in just two days, I won't be able to say that. I wish I could say that my friendships with the students here will grow stronger still, but that just isn't reality. I hope that we all try out best to keep in touch, however, because I truly made some friendships here that can last a lifetime. I feel like I'm stuck in a wonderful dream right now, but in just a few days, I'll wake up, and all of this will just be a beautiful memory.

The first half of class was saved for creating a research question for our mini research presentations. It was interesting how our teacher made us come up with a topic. Instead of giving us plenty of time to brainstorm a topic, Ms. Carolyn Davis rushed us and gave us pretty much only a minute. Every time she gave us more time, we kept making subtopics and questions for the subtopics, when finally we found our research question. It was interesting how we were rushed, because honestly, thinking about what you're researching is probably the most difficult part about research presentations/projects. One tends to over think, and it was interesting how much we were to condense our topic in such a timely manner. Usually in research, you need a very specific topic and question, because some topics if not sub-topiced would be too broad. I'm glad I have had the chance to learn about research in this class, because research will be the basis of my learning in college (most likely).

We also had a guest speaker who worked with an organization at Vanderbilt relating to interfaith. Our discussion helped me to reflect upon my own community. It made me realize, oddly enough, that my school has no club related to a religion or faith. It's as if Pinole is so ethnically diverse, that we're too afraid to tell and express to others our own religious beliefs, because although I have plenty of different friends from different cultures and backgrounds, we hardly ever talk of our religious beliefs. Looks like I'll talk more about it to my friends and peers when I get back.
The Tree of Knowledge
Today, we went to the Vanderbilt Divinity Library for the second half of class. This was where we conducted our research, and learned some helpful tips about using a library catalogue. The library was enormous, and I felt a little overwhelmed to be honest. The class also had a chance to have a little peek inside and outside the Divinity School. The chapel was beautiful, too.







My research question is: Why is the Trinity so important in Christian beliefs if it is so vaguely mentioned in the Bible? You might not believe this, but this was my 2nd sub-topic branching off from "conflicting beliefs" and then "the after life". This question that I came up with is actually very broad still. I found this out, when I discovered a ton of books just about the Holy Trinity. If you don't remember from one of my previous blog posts, I was very curious about the Trinity, and this is why I'm doing this topic. I'm glad my teacher told us that we're most likely not going to be able to finish our research--that it should actually be an ongoing process. This made me so relieved, because there are just way too many books and readings of the Trinity. I'll see how much research and new information about my question I will get tomorrow, though.
Anna and a lot of books
Proctors performing a "Willy Wonka" skit
The Talent Show was today, and I had such a great time. I've mentioned this before, but I'll mention it again; the students (and staff) here are extremely talented. Everyone's acts were wonderfully performed, and I really loved how the audience was so encouraging and excited for everyone's acts. I especially had a great time doing the two acts that I was in. I was in a boy band with a some members of my proctor group, along with our proctor, Trevor! We were called Team Trevor, and we did a cover of the Back Street Boy's "I Want It That Way". I was pretty nervous, because being in a 90's boy band is just very normal for people today. But thanks to the wonderful audience, we had a very loud applause, and I actually think we did pretty good. I also performed one of my old love poems that I performed at my first-ever Open Mic at Pinole Valley High School. I just couldn't believe the standing ovation at the end of this performance. Everyone really liked it; even the guys asked me to marry them. I'm just happy everybody was so touched by it; this evening really made my day.
But I guess everyday makes my day at VSA.

Encore!




 

No comments:

Post a Comment