Thursday, July 12, 2012

Slow Yet Fast Week

Today was probably the fastest day out of all the VSA days I've had this week. I'm not sure where the time went, but now it's already time to go to sleep soon. I'm really getting used to this place, and I think everyone else in this program are too. VSA and the city of Nashville have become my home--and for two more weeks still! It's amazing how tomorrow is already Friday. It felt like the week went by so fast, yet it went by super slow. Does that make sense? Everyday has been very productive, and my stay here has only started to feel fast when I realized today the weekend is coming up soon. It does, however, feel like it's been ages since I woke up at 3 AM on a Monday morning and took off from that plane at Oakland International Airport.
"Chilling" during an hour of free time in my room
The weather was even crazier today, and I'm getting really sick of the rain. I miss the sun, even if that means it's going to get more humid. I don't know if I've ever experienced such a downpour of rain like today. If it wasn't the most rain I've ever experienced outside, it sure was in my Top 10 "Rainy Experiences". However, I'll be honest. I didn't sweat at all when it rained, which was nice. Still, I managed to sweat today at night when it didn't rain. I know that I'm complaining about the weather a lot in this paragraph but just know, I really am getting used to it. It's not that bad here.

Today we studied Islamic food restrictions. I found out what a halal diet should be. Halal is similar to the Jewish diet, kosher. A Muslim can't consume pig's meat, carrion, blood, alcohol, or intoxicated drugs. I found it very interesting that food can be prepared not only by a Muslim but also by people who are Jews or Christians.

We also watched a video called 30 Days. It is about a dedicated Christian man who visits and assimilates himself into the most densely populated Muslim community in the U.S., Dearborn, Michigan. It amazed me how judgemental people are of Muslims--that the first thing they think of when someone says "Muslim" is "terrorist". This is what the video taught me the most, and I hope America changes its views about Muslims soon.

Islam, if translated, means submission. I thought this was very true of Muslims, and I honestly think they're one of the most, if not the most, dedicated religious people the world has ever had. It doesn't matter what a Muslim is doing; they must pray when it is time (must pray five times a day) to.  I found it very interesting that praying that much could break up conflict and help one to re-focus on what is important--and that is God. This is what I found the most important today, and I give Muslims props for what they do.
After making bracelets

After class, I made some very amateur friendship bracelets for people (and one for myself). When I say amateur, I mean take two strings and twist them. Well, it's the effort and the thought that counts, right?

Anyway, tomorrow we're having a glow dance, and I'm visiting a synagogue for the first time! It should be an exciting day tomorrow. Good night.

No comments:

Post a Comment