Saturday, July 21, 2012

The Dark Knight Rises



Katherine ( a good friend of mine here) and I. 

I was tired and my feet were bloody from running barefoot through the streets. Tears blurred my vision and fell from my cheeks. I needed water; I needed to stop running, but I knew if I did I would lose my life. I ran as fast as I could until I came to a little village, where I ran to the nearest house and banged on the window. 
" Please, someone, answer the door!" I begged, banging my tiny fists on the oak door. No one answered. I turned around to run, but came face to face with a man instead. No, man was not the right word to describe this...creature. It was a monster. It loomed over me, pale as the snow beneath me, with silver hair pulled back into a low ponytail behind its neck. It wore a long, black cloak that concealed most of its body and carried a sword in its hand. He looked at me with blood-thirsty eyes and a smirk that made my blood curl. He hissed as he closed in on me. He raised his sword, and the tip gleamed in the moonlight. Slowly, the sharp edge came closer to my neck. 

That's when I woke up panting, with sweat dripping down my face. I looked around my room, only to see an empty bed across from me, and a few desks cluttered with various paraphernalia. I planted my hand to my heart, feeling the fast pace of my heartbeat underneath the thin fabric of my sleeping shirt. Thank God my roommate had left early to work out at the gym. I had been immersed in my writing last night; I must have fallen asleep as I brainstormed more ideas for my second short mystery story. 

I lay there in bed for a while, inhaling and exhaling excessively to try and calm myself. When my heart resumed its normal pace, I jumped out of bed and grabbed my notebook. I jotted down what I remembered from my dreams, and shoved my notebook back into my backpack before hurrying to the bathroom to ready myself for the day. 

After breakfast, I went to class with the usual pack I travel with. We spent the entire two hours of class talking about metaphors in mystery writing and how useful they can be. Then, we spent an hour writing a horrible love song from Sherlock to Watson, Watson to Sherlock, or Moriarty to Watson. I was a very interesting and fun day. 

When class was over, we had about four hours of free time. I read in a room for a while until a friend of mine texted me asking to accompany him CVS to buy some things. I gathered our usually group and signed out to go to CVS with my friends, where we had a little adventure looking for a soap container. 

Finally, after dinner, all of VSA went to see The Dark Knight Rises. It was by far one of the best movies I have seen in a very long time. I must admit that I was slightly lost in some places because I have not seen the first one, and I saw the second one a long time ago so I forgot what happened. However, towards the middle of the film I was completely captivated in the plot. Everyone in the audience cheered with satisfaction when the movie ended. 

All in all it was a very jovial day. I had fun in class and outside of class. I can say with confidence that this summer camp at Vanderbilt is perhaps the best thing that has ever happened to me. I am thankful to the ILC for providing with the opportunity to participate in this program. My only regret is that I didn't do this last year. 



On our way to see The Dark Knight Rises. 

No comments:

Post a Comment