Saturday, July 21, 2012

Vanderbilt=My Home?

There is one very important concept about religious faith and practice that I've come to realize today. Many religions are about how one practices their faith and not just what one believes about their faith. An exception to this would be Protestantism. Many Protestants believe if you believe in Jesus you're saved. Now, I sort of believe this, but I honestly feel that this concept is way too simple. When Jesus Christ was on this earth, he mostly wanted to spread and teach others about being a leader and caring for the poor. Sometimes, I feel that Christians forget this. This is why I believe your actions speak louder than your thoughts and beliefs to God. Yes, believing that Christ was your savior is essential, but Christians have to respect Jews and Muslims for how submissive they are to God and how charitable and peaceful they are in this world. Now, don't even say that not all Muslims are like this because of "terrorists". Like our Muslim feminist activist guest speaker, Remziya, said, I don't believe the people responsible for 9/11 were Muslim. No where in the Koran or in their beliefs does it say that one can murder another person.

Lately, I've been feeling a little home-sick, but this feeling isn't going to be anything compared to saying goodbye to all of my newly found friends here. It still amazes me how close you can become with others when you've only known them for a couple of weeks. Close bonds and making new friendships are never this easy in high school, and I honestly wish high school was just like VSA. It would be so much fun. And no homework, but instead, an intense 6 hours of class time? That's definitely a "plus".

I can definitely see myself living in a dorm like this, but most importantly, I can see myself living with and going to school with students like the VSA student body. These people are too sociable, too intellectual, too talented, and way too much fun for their own good. I just hope I can see them again. Well, one thing is for sure, if any of my VSA friends come to the Bay Area, or if I ever visit their areas, we're going to meet up and "hang out" with each other. Man, can VSA just last longer? Three weeks is nothing--just like how one week of college touring was nothing. Nothing good ever lasts long it seems.

Today the entire VSA went to the movies, and most of us watched the Dark Knight Rises. I was super excited for this, not just because I'm going with all my friends, but because I've waited four years--ever since 8th grade--for this movie to come to the big screen. Being in the theater, I forgot for a second that I was thousands of miles away from home and was in a Nashville movie theater. I felt like I was watching a movie in my town; so I guess I felt like I was home. It seems that I must be pretty comfortable in Nashville to forgot for a bit that I wasn't at Century 16 Hilltop (movie theater near my town). I don't want to give anything away about this movie, but let me just say that it was the best epic conclusion to a trilogy I've ever seen. I felt the biggest surge of energy leaving the theater, and watching Batman was definitely the best way possible to end my last Saturday at VSA.

This program is starting to make me realize how close I am to attending college. In just a few months, I will be done filling out those admission applications. I guess if I feel so much at home here, I should apply for Vanderbilt! Well, I think I'll know for sure by the end of this trip if I'm going to apply here or not. It seems I'll just leave it up to fate and my hard work to see what will happen in the next chapter of my life.

1 comment:

  1. Great reflection, Chris! I'm enjoying seeing you grow as a theological thinker!

    ReplyDelete